On average, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Contingent on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, whether or not you have pets, and how often your air filter has been replaced, to name a few—you may adjust your air duct cleaning
more or less often. So, how can you find out for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are certainly some telltale signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns covered with dust or pet hair?
- Is there an obstruction in your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers wafting out dust?
- When you check inside with a flashlight, can you see a buildup of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents made a home in your ductwork?
- Can you hear sound other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have a smaller amount of airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s probably time to ask Kilbourne Heating & AC in Delray Beach about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are a few things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and prolong the period of time between expert cleanings.
Mostly importantly, schedule annual HVAC maintenance with the professionals at Kilbourne Heating & AC. A maintenance check of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should consist of inspection, and potential replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system operating well, and will help keep your ducts clean.
You can also talk to the team at Kilbourne Heating & AC about installing an air purification system. We provide the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other measures you can take include:
- Consistently dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Checking your air filters regularly and changing them when the manufacturer recommends replacing them. Most filters will show dust on them after a short time in service, but they may not require replacement.
- Sealing leaks in air ducts that let dust to enter from areas like your attic.
- Trading poor or damaged air-duct insulation.
With an expert air duct cleaning and some proactive measures, you can help keep the air in your Delray Beach home clean and healthy. Give the professionals at Kilbourne Heating & AC a call at 561-287-7071.