Summer weather in Delray Beach can be brutal. But you don’t have to make a choice between being comfortably cool and saving money on your utility expenses. We’ve compiled some tips to help you out.
The greatest thing you can do to stay cool and sustain energy efficiency is by maintaining your air conditioner. ENERGY STAR® says keeping your system operating reliably and efficiently, and Kilbourne Heating & AC can assist. During an AC tune-up appointment, we’ll complete the following tasks noted by ENERGY STAR and more:
- Tighten all electrical connections and measure voltage and current on motors to be sure there’s safe operation of your system and the chance of a longer life for major components.
- Clean the air conditioner’s evaporator and condenser coils as needed. Dirty coils require your system to work more often to do its job.
- Check system controls to ensure correct and safe operation.
- Check refrigerant levels.
- Clean and adjust blower components to assure correct system airflow.
Another critical piece to keeping cool is consistently checking your air conditioner’s air filter. A dirty filter may raise energy expenses and damage your equipment, which could lead to untimely failure. Our Kilbourne Heating & AC professionals will check these for you at your tune-up appointment, but you’ll want to follow the manufacturer’s recommendations to make your own schedule to switch them out.
Here are some other tips to keep your home comfy and energy-efficient:
- Check thermostat settings to be sure your air conditioner keeps you cool when you are home and saves energy while you are away.
- If it’s cool at night, you can turn off your air conditioner and open your windows. Let nature cool your home for you! In the morning, shut your windows and window coverings to trap the cool air and block the sun’s heat.
- Take advantage of fans. An ENERGY-STAR ceiling fan will allow you to set your thermostat a little higher than you routinely would without noticing any changes in your comfort level.
- Another style of fan people routinely forget about when they’re trying to keep cool is their bathroom ventilation fan. Make certain to run yours when you shower as well as 20 minutes or longer after you’re done to remove the heat and humidity from your bathroom.
- Try not to leave lights on and running many appliances on the hottest days. Obviously, your stovetop and oven are adding heat into your home, but even everyday activities like watching TV, working on the computer, and drying or curling your hair can increase the heat in your home.
If you’d like more ideas on how to keep your home cool and energy efficient this summer, give Kilbourne Heating & AC at call at 561-287-7071 or request an appointment with us online.