Whether you like winter or prefer the warmer months in Delray Beach, most of us make adjustments to make sure our home’s temperature keeps us comfortable. This can have a huge impact on your energy bills, but there are steps you can take to reduce those energy costs.
- Look at the weather stripping – After many years, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to identify any drafts that have to be addressed.
- Take advantage of your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be valuable in keeping your house warm. Keep them open when the sun is shining during the day, and make sure to close them at night, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter routinely to see if it should be changed. We recommend at least once every three months, but that period of time can vary from house to house.
- Install a programmable thermostat – They may seem like just a handy way to make sure your home keeps warm, but programmable thermostats can also save you money! You can arrange temperatures to be lower when you are away from the home or sleeping. Being more mindful of efficiency will help with heating costs.
- Add insulation to your attic – Check to see if you have an acceptable amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a great tool to lower the chances of heat escaping.
- Call for routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system needs a little attention, too. Hiring experts to clean and maintain your system will give you piece of mind that your system is operating effectively and efficiently. They can also catch small issues that could end up as more expensive repairs if left unchecked.
- Assess your HVAC system – If your utility bills are continually increasing—even with your efforts to improve efficiency—it might be time to look for a replacement heating system. An expert at Kilbourne Heating & AC can help you examine the performance of your HVAC system and walk through your options for newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps reduce the amount of money you are putting toward your energy costs, but many of them can help your heating system operate more efficiently. More efficient energy use also improves the health of your equipment, which means your system will last longer.
If you are considering routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide insight on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Kilbourne Heating & AC in Delray Beach a call to start down the right path. You can reach us at 561-287-7071 or arrange an appointment with us online.